Notes to Self While Traveling
I was recently out of town for a work trip.
Things that helped while traveling:
* Easy-to-read magazines, the kind that don’t require a lot of thinking… enough to keep you occupied on a plane or during wait times, but not overly so…
* Eye mask to help with deeper sleep, particularly when transitioning to different time zones.
* Lots of water to stay hydrated and keep my system relatively healthy since plane food and restaurant meals often have too much sodium.
Things that I thought would have helped but didn’t:
* Crocheting, which I anticipated to be relaxing and productive, but it just didn’t work out.
* Taking other/additional work with me… Multi-tasking can have its drawbacks.
* Not checking email each day actually meant a build-up of work and sometimes delayed responses (business trip ≠ vacation).
Things that definitely did not help:
* Avoiding exercise… Missing walks or running was just.not.good. I managed a few morning yoga sessions in my hotel room, but I really needed to have done some cardio of some kind, too.
* Bringing a suitcase that was one size too small made for a very heavy carry-on backpack and less space for accumulated work-related materials and souvenirs for the trip home.
* Lack of vitamins… Silly me, I didn’t want to deal with the “inconvenience” of vitamins, and I t-o-t-a-l-l-y felt the difference. Next time, I will figure out how to continue my vitamin routine while away.
Things I was grateful for:
* Small kindnesses from strangers included taller folks helping me store items in the overhead compartments, instructions on how to operate some gadget-y things, and pointing me in the right direction as needed.
* Free internet – enough said. 🙂
Posted on December 13, 2011, in Professional Sparks and tagged advice, business, plane, postaday2011, professional, spark, travel, traveling, travelling, trip. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.