Today’s musical spark:
Artist: Esperanza Spalding
Today out of curiosity, I searched the web for inspirational proverbs from around the world. I want to share a few from Asia in particular.
I’m not sure about the accuracy of the web regarding exact wording and the specific groups mentioned, however, so please feel free to inform me about any corrections.
* “There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but the view is always the same.” – Chinese proverb
* “Ang hindi lumingon sa pinanggalingan, hindi makakarating sa patutunguhan.” – Filipino proverb
- Literally: One who never looks back on his/her beginning will never get to his/her destination.
- Meaning: You should always remember where you came from to be able to reach your goals.
* “Ghiste ghiste to patthar bhi gol ho jata hai.” – Indian proverb
- Literally: Even a stone gets rounded by constant rubbing.
- Translation: Hard work pays off.
- English equivalent: Practice makes perfect.
* “Fall seven times, stand up eight.” – Japanese proverb
* “Alon-alon waton kelakon (slow but sure).” – Javanese proverb
* “Venture all; see what fate brings.” – Vietnamese proverb